Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Duty of the Individual

From the foreword to The Economist's Tale, by Peter Griffiths:

This book shows that it is individuals who cause poverty, underdevelopment and famine, by their actions, by their failure to act, and by their failure to speak up.

Some individuals chose to be incompetent, dishonest or downright evil. Some are pressed to be by their employers, their family or their society. Others tolerate incompetence, dishonesty or evil because they are afraid. They may be afraid that that they will lose their jobs and starve. They may be afraid that they will be beaten up or killed. Or they may be afraid that they will be seen to be making a fuss.

Workers in the aid industry have to bow to pressures from clients, consultancy firms, donor organisations and the whole aid system if they are to continue to work in aid. Like most of my colleagues, I try to do my best within the limits of what can be achieved. I suspect, though, that often I have acted within the limits of what is good for my career.

Unless the aid industry tackles this problem, it will achieve as little in the future as it has in the past.
In considering what contribution I can make to development, I am considering creating a website that can be a space for truthful discussion and inquiry into these and other issues.


THIS BLOG HAS MOVED HERE

1 Comments:

Blogger Belladonna said...

VERY powerful words. I want to read the rest of it!

12/16/2006 04:11:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home